Dr. Mukesh Mahajan is a reliable general physician at Phoenix Speciality Clinic in Keshav Nagar, Pune. He is a highly experienced doctor which more than eleven years of experience in general medicine and minor surgical treatment.
He has treated patients who have arthritis in a very competent manner. He recommends a comprehensive treatment, including arthritis diagnosis and management.
His patients have experienced relief from arthritis from his treatment. They trust him and his treatment for full recovery from their painful condition.
What is arthritis?
Arthritis is a painful condition that affects the joints of the body, especially the cartilage of the joint. There are two types of arthritis viz. osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
It is essential to treat arthritis in time rather than ignore it.
Severe arthritis conditions can lead to difficulty in movement and performing daily tasks. There are chances that the joints become deformed and twisted in shape.
Osteoarthritis is one of the most common types of arthritis that occurs due to wear-and-tear damage to the cartilage of the joint.
If the cartilage of the joint is damaged, then the ends of the two bones are likely to grind each other leading to pain and decreased movement. If osteoarthritis is ignored, there could be an infection or joint injury.
In rheumatoid arthritis, the lining of the joint capsule is attacked by the immune system of the body. This lining is known as the synovial membrane.
This membrane becomes swollen and inflamed. If rheumatoid arthritis is not treated on time then the bone and its cartilage are likely to get destroyed.
Causes of arthritis
- Family History – The patient will have arthritis if the family members are suffering from this condition. The patient needs to be cautious and aware of the same.
- Age – The onset of both types of arthritis increases with age. As the patient grows older, the discomfort and pain in the body indicate the same.
- Sex of the patient – Women develop rheumatoid arthritis while men suffer from gout, which is due to high levels of uric acid in the body.
- Joint injury – Patients with a history of action sports are likely to develop arthritis in the earlier injured joint.
- Weight – Patients with excess weight are likely to have joint pain in the knees, hips and spine, leading to arthritis.
Dr Mukesh Mahajan, the best general physician in Keshav Nagar, Pune will prescribe medicines as per the condition and the type of arthritis such as -
Painkillers: Painkillers offer relief from pain and discomfort for short periods. They should not be taken for long periods as they have side-effects and
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs): These medicines are prescribed to reduce inflammation and pain. But, these medicines increase the risk of stroke and heart attack so they have to be consumed as per the doctor’s advice. The NSAIDs are also available in form of creams and gels for local application on painful joints for relief.
Pain relieving ointments and sprays: The doctor may prescribe creams and ointments fortified with capsaicin or menthol for relief. Still, they are likely to interfere with the actual relief and intensity of pain.
Corticosteroids: The doctor may describe corticosteroids that suppress the immune system and reduce inflammation. The corticosteroids are available in form of tablets or injections. Corticosteroids injections are directly injected into the painful joint.
The doctor may suggest physical therapy, along with medications. These exercises focus on improving the range of motion and make the surrounding muscles of the painful joints stronger.
The doctor suggests surgical intervention if the patient does not find relief from medicines and physical therapy such as joint repair, joint replacement and joint fusion.
How to manage arthritis
Dr Mukesh Mahajan will counsel and guide the patients on how to manage arthritic conditions as per their requirements and conditions.
- How to live and manage arthritis pain
- How to perform daily activities without increasing dependency on others
- How to de-stress and relax
- How to stay in a positive frame of mind
- How to reduce weight and become physically more active
It is advisable to approach a local general physician such as Dr Mukesh Mahajan in Keshav Nagar for the treatment of arthritis as he is easily approachable and available for patients.