Migraine is common in people living in Pune. This article discusses what migraine is, the symptoms of migraine, what causes and increases the risk of getting a migraine and what measures can be taken to treat migraine.
What is a migraine?
A migraine is a severe headache that is often accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light. A migraine can last for hours or days. It can pose difficulties for us in performing our daily activities.
If you have a migraine and severe headache, it is recommended to visit the best multispecialty clinic in Keshav Nagar, Pune, to get proper treatment for migraines.
What are the symptoms of migraines?
Migraine occurs in stages, and the symptoms differ in each stage. Following are the different stages in migraine and the symptoms associated with it-
Prodrome: This stage takes place before the headache. The common symptoms seen in this stage include:
- Sensitivity to light, sound, etc.
- Gain/loss of appetite
- Mood swings
- Feeling over-thirsty
Aura: The common symptoms experienced in this stage of migraine include-
- Vision problems
- Speech problems
- Heaviness in arms and legs
- Ringing ears
- Changes observed in taste, smell, etc.
Attack: The common symptoms experienced in this stage of migraine include-
The frequency of migraine headaches differs from person to person.
- Postdrome: The commons signs & symptoms seen in this stage of migraine include the following-
- Over-excitement and happiness
- Feeling weak and experiencing pain in muscles
- Gain/loss of appetite
If you notice any of the above signs & symptoms of migraine, it is advisable to seek help from the best general physician in Pune.
What causes and increases the risk of getting migraines?
Migraine headaches are a symptom of a condition known as migraine. The exact cause of migraine is not yet identified, but certain risk factors lead to migraine headaches. Some of them include the following-
- Gender: Women are more prone to get migraine than men
- Age: Migraine headaches are common in people between 10-40 years of age.
- Family: If a migraine runs in your family, then there are high chances for you also to get a migraine headache.
- Other factors: Psychological disorders like depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders can lead to migraine headaches.
Some things may trigger the onset of migraine headaches. Some of them are as follows-
- Changes in Hormones: Menstruation and pregnancy may trigger the onset of migraine headaches in women.
- Stress: Taking the stress and too much worrying and over-thinking lead to headaches. Of course, our head cannot take the pressure of too many negative thoughts and thus starts to pain.
- Foods: Some foods and drinks like cheese and alcohol may trigger a migraine.
- Irregular eating habits: Not eating at the proper time and skipping meals can trigger migraine headaches.
How to treat migraines?
Migraines cannot be cured entirely. But specific medications and some lifestyle changes can reduce and treat migraine headaches. The treatment for migraine includes the following-
- Over-the-counter drugs: OTC drugs can help you to get relief from migraine pain. But excess of OTC drugs is harmful and may make you dependent on it. So, it is better to visit the Best clinic in Pune in such cases and seek help from a doctor there. He may suggest some prescription medicines that may help to lessen the migraine headaches.
- Triptans: Triptans are drugs that help to balance the chemicals in the brain.
- Lasmiditan: These drugs reduce pain and sensitivity to light. It also helps in treating nausea.
- Other medicines: Other medicines like blood pressure medicines, antidepressants can also help to treat migraines.
- Neuromodulation devices: These devices help to reduce migraine headaches.
- Applying ice on your forehead can reduce migraine
- More fluid intake can also reduce migraine
- Resting and closing your eyes in a dark, silent room is also helpful
- Avoid Stress: Avoiding stress and avoiding triggers that lead to tension and migraine may be helpful in the treatment of migraines. One can engage in activities they like and listen to music to relieve stress.
- Proper Sleep: Ensuring that you get adequate sleep is essential to avoid migraine headaches.
- Eating on time: Eating on time and following healthy eating habits help in the prevention of migraines.
- Regular exercise: Exercising regularly also helps in the prevention of migraines.
Physical treatments like acupressure and acupuncture also help to reduce migraines.
This article made us understand what migraine is, its symptoms, the factors and triggers that increase the risk of getting a migraine, and the treatment options available to treat migraine.
If you experience migraine symptoms, it is advisable to visit a clinic in Keshav Nagar, Pune, immediately and get treatment for your migraine.