Arthritis is a painful disease that affects many people in Keshav Nagar, Pune. It is a condition that affects the joints of the body, especially the cartilage.
Rather than ignoring arthritis, it is essential to handle it as soon as possible. If you have arthritis, a general physician in Keshav Nagar can effectively treat your condition.
Severe arthritis can make it challenging to get about and carry out everyday activities. There is a possibility the joints will get deformed and twisted in shape.
Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are two different forms of arthritis. These forms of arthritis are more likely to be treated by a general physician. So, let us begin by understanding these different forms of arthritis.
Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that affects the joints. It is the most common form of arthritis, which is caused by wear and tears on the joint cartilage.
If the joint's cartilage is weakened, the two bones' ends are likely to scrape against each other, causing discomfort and limited mobility. If osteoarthritis is neglected, it can result in an infection or joint injury.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a form of arthritis that affects the joints. It occurs when the immune system of the body attacks the lining of the joint capsule. The synovial membrane is the name for this padding. This membrane swells and gets inflamed. The bone and its cartilage are likely to be lost if you do not treat rheumatoid arthritis promptly.
Now that you know the different forms of arthritis, let us understand its causes.
Causes of arthritis
The most common causes of arthritis include:
- Family history: If all your family members have arthritis, you will develop it as well. So, it is best if you take care of yourself from the very beginning.
- Age: Age plays a role in the onset of all forms of arthritis. As you get older, the chances of arthritis increase.
- Gender: Women get rheumatoid arthritis, and men get gout, which is caused by elevated uric acid levels in the body.
- Joint injury: If you have a history of action sports injuries are most likely to develop arthritis of the already damaged joint.
- Weight: If you are overweight, you are likely to develop arthritis in your ankles, hips, and back.
How does a general physician help in treating arthritis?
A general physician will recommend your medications based on the diagnosis and form of arthritis, such as -
- Painkillers: Painkillers provide temporary relief from pain and nausea. They cannot be used for long periods because they have adverse effects.
- NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs): These medications are used to alleviate discomfort and inflammation. However, since these medications raise the risk of stroke and heart disease, you must use them exactly as prescribed by the doctor. NSAIDs are also available as creams and gels that can be used locally to relieve discomfort in joints.
- Pain-relieving creams and ointments: For relaxation, the doctor can prescribe creams and lotions containing capsaicin or menthol. Nonetheless, they are likely to compete with pain relief and severity.
- Corticosteroids: Corticosteroids inhibit the immune response and reduce inflammation. They may be used as pills or as injections. Your general physician will directly insert them using an injection into the inflamed joint.
The doctor can recommend physical exercise and drugs. The exercises designed will increase your range of motion and strengthen the muscles around the sore joints.
If you do not get relief from medications and physical therapy, the doctor may recommend surgery, such as joint reconstruction, joint replacement, or joint fusion. A specialist will perform these surgeries.
How to manage arthritis?
A general physician will advise and instruct you on treating your arthritic symptoms according to your needs and circumstances. They might give you instructions on:
- How to deal with and survive with arthritis pain.
- How to go through everyday tasks without being more dependent on others.
- How to calm down and de-stress.
- How to maintain a positive state of mind.
- How to lose weight and increase physical activity.
A general practitioner in Pune can help you effectively manage your arthritis. So, find the best general physician in Pune and visit them. They will guide you on how to go about your treatment and the lifestyle changes that would help your condition.